This phrase is used in spoken english to tell someone that something has just struck in your mind. It may a positive or a negative thought.
Basic Syntax : (It occurred to me that + Subject)
Examples of ‘It occurred to me that’ in Spoken English
- It occurred to me that someone has stolen my mobile phone.
Suppose that you wake up in the morning and didn’t find your mobile phone in your room. You searched everywhere but couldn’t find it. You thought you have lost your phone or someone has stolen it. But after few hours, while cleaning the room, you find it lying on the floor underneath your bed. In this situation, you can use the above sentence while speaking english.
- It occurred to me that you have been kicked out of the team.
Let’s assume that you are a member of your college’s football team. You found that one of the member in your team isn’t giving good performance from past five or six months and you thought probably he will be kicked out of the team very soon. In this condition, the above example example can be used while learning and speaking english.
- It occurred to me that you are responsible for this problem.
Suppose something has gone wrong with your television and you think your younger brother is responsible for this problem. You asked him, but he strongly denied to accept that. In this situation you can use the above phrase in spoken english.
- It occurred to me that my brother would buy me a shirt and a jeans instead a pair of shoes on my birthday.
Let’s assume on your birthday your brother bought a pair of shoes for you as a gift but you have expected that he will buy some clothes for you. In this condition you can apply the above example to make a sentence while learning english.
- It occurred to me that Virat would have played much better.
Suppose you love to watch cricket and Virat Kohli is your favorite player but he failed to pull through victory for India in the previous match. This is how the above example can be utilized in spoken english.
- It occurred to me that government has taken a positive step towards eradication of corruption and terrorism.
This is the general example that every one has in their minds. Everyone expect that the government will work on eliminating corruption, terrorism and other concerned issues but they fail every time. In this type of situation, the above sentence can be implemented while speaking english.
- It occurred to me that I am not going to clear the personal interview.
Suppose you have cleared a personal interview without any preparation and you were not expecting that the result will turn on your side. Likewise you can use the above phrase in similar kind of situations.
- It occurred to me that I must begin with the basics of the php programming language to get my concepts more clear.
Let’s assume that you are having a hard time understanding the core concepts of php programming language and you are now thinking that you should have focused on the basic concepts first rather than learning the core concepts. This is how the above example can be implemented while learning english.
Common Errors that occur using ‘It occurred to me that’ in Spoken English
- It occurred to me that you already known about the consequences. (✕)
- It occurred to me that you already know about the consequences. (✓)
- It occurred to me that we had not been invited to the party. (✕)
- It occurred to me that we had not been invited to the party. (✓)